Monday, June 21, 2010

Trying to eat better

Eating well does not mean that you have to eat like a rabbit...umm I guess I should explain that to N. :) My husband and I are trying to eat better though. We have gained a little weight and a few tummy problems. It's so easy to get caught up in the fast-food way of life. I really do not want my boys to grow up thinking that is okay! Food is not just here for us to consume, but also for us to enjoy. How many times have you walked into a fast food place and said "wow something smells good" or "I feel great, that was a wonderful meal". No usually we walk away feeling gross and smelling gross too. I try to think of that when I'm tempted to hit the drive-through. Now don't get me wrong I'm far from perfect...and there are days that J is munching on some chicken nuggets in the back seat. (oops!)
But the other night I was on my A game!!!! I made a super healthy and yummy meal that everyone loved. (Poor baby N just had apple sauce though) 

Chicken Salad wraps in whole wheat organic wraps with some organic baby spinach inside.
I had cooked a whole chicken the day before and then cut up the meat to use in several meals. It's much cheaper that way and you get the hard work done all at once!
So here is the recipe:
2 cups of cooked cubed chicken -I used organic
1 cup celery 
1 green onion
1/2 cup mayo
1 teaspoon basil
1teaspoon dill
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Mix all ingredients together and chill
Then I took a few spoon fulls on a whole wheat wrap and some organic baby spinach...don't you feel healthy now! I know the mayo is not the best...but It's a start. You could switch it out for yogurt if you wanted. :)


Then I put the chicken salad on my whole wheat wrap with some spinach. I made them ahead and then let them chill some in the refrigerator. We also had smoothies with our wraps that night.
In my blinder I put a cup of yogurt, 3 cups of mixed berries, a squirt of honey to taste, and a cup of water since my berries were frozen. Mix until smooth. Enjoy!
So it's not perfect...but I'm learning...and my family is on their way to being even healthier!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! So glad you're heading in a healthy direction.

    ReplyDelete