Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Preschool

It seems like everyone is getting ready for school to start in a few weeks. All the school supplies are on sale and the stores are boasting about huge back to school sales. Parents can't wait for the kids to go, and the kids are hoping that summer will last forever!
        Now that J is three, my husband and I have been talking about him going to school. At this age Preschool is more about their social development than academics. We looked into several options and came to the conclusion that it would be best for our family if we taught him at home this year. He attends Sunday school at church, a mom's group, and the library reading program each week. Not to mention frequent play dates. So as far a socialization goes I think he's covered.

          It would be very easy for me to spend a small fortune on school supplies that we "must" have. I love school supplies! There is something about a brand new box of crayons that makes me happy. (I'm easy to please I guess) I have managed to find some wonderful school supplies at the thrift store, dollar store, dollar section at Target, and TJ Max! Along with books from the library I think I'm all set...at least my husband hopes so! ;)

So here is a run down of what we will be using this year:
 Alphabet, Number, Color, and Shape Workbooks (mainly all from the dollar store)
Craft supplies (dollar store and Target/Wal-Mart)
Books (library, yard sales, and thrift stores)
Puzzles (Target dollar section and TJ Max)
Blocks (Wal-Mart)
Lacing patters and beads (from Aunt)
Abacus (thrift store)
Play-dough (homemade)
Shaving cream (dollar store)
Alphabet cards (Thrift store)

J is so excited about all his school supplies! We only spend about 15-20 min. each week day sitting at the table doing the school work together (he's only three). During this time we work on one page from the work book and some sort of hands on/fine motor skill...cutting, finger paint, play-dough, lacing beads, etc. Then we move onto a floor activity...blocks, tinker-toys, Leggo, etc. . Moving to different stations helps with his attention span.
We do all this during N's morning nap time, which is usually between 9am to 10:30ish. After that we either run errands if needed, or go to the library, local farm that we are members of, play-date, or some other activity. After lunch and the boys nap time we then continue the learning time with a life skill lesson. This could be anything from helping Mommy cook, set the table for dinner, water plant, or even a nature walk. Then there is more free play while I finish dinner prep. Before bed we read several books together as well.  J is responding really well to this schedule since he has Mommy all to himself in the morning.
I welcome any creative ideas on what others are doing with their preschoolers. I have learned so much from the blog world!

No comments:

Post a Comment